Saturday, May 10, 2008

Theory Questions: Allen Ginsberg, "America"

"America" Allen Ginsberg
Cultural Poetics
I grabbed this one from an earlier post for theory presentations. from the other class. Since Ginsberg is one of my favorite poets, I figured i would end the semester with something I am familiar with.
The beat generation was truly an anti establishment way of literature. As Ginsberg, Kerouac, Burroughs and Ferlinghetti had written in their very complex, yet almost a satirical look in the vein of post modernism, they each found their own light through their works. Ginsberg's "America" is one that resonates deeply with me. I find its lyrical structure to be very revealing, he opens his mind and captures his audience with very sincere images of his world around him.

1. Why does Ginsberg shift his tone to say that his America rather than continue to stay the voice of America?

2. Why does Ginsberg make America such a personal poem?

3. Why does Ginsberg seem to make America out to be more than just a country, more like a human being?

No comments: